Thursday, November 13, 2008

Zeppeliny Goodness!

I've been working on the electrical again. I made a trip to Home Depot to get some conduit fittings, and was surprised to see floating overhead...a zeppelin. I'd heard they were starting to give rides in the SF Bay Area, but hadn't thought twice about it until today.


the German cousin of the zeppelin I saw


I wasn't the only one who was surprised to see it. Two cars in front of me at a traffic light had cameras pointed out their windows, and a variety of people in the Home Depot lot were staring up at it.

Unlike blimps, which are a dime a dozen these days, zeppelins have a rigid frame inside. Unlike The Hindenburg, these are filled with helium, and don't have an aluminized skin (which is what made that burn so fiercely, not the hydrogen, which burned off quickly).

DIY Insanity...now with 10% more Zeppeliny Goodness!

1 comment:

PJD said...

Did you ever see the Myth Busters episode where they took on the claim about the Hindenburg's skin paint? it was pretty cool, but then all the Myth Busters episodes are pretty cool.