Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Winter's Back

Apparently NV's rain dance worked. We still need more rain and snow, but the last week or so we've gotten a lot. Fortunately we've got a break to clean up and dry things out a little.

if a tree falls halfway...

Yesterday on my way home from the Red Cross, I saw a neighbor out walking during a break in the rain, and so had to drive closer to the other side of the street. The branches over that side of the street seemed low, and after parking I saw Mike looking at the tree, and indeed it was low. It was low because it had fallen half way over, and hadn't fallen all the way only because it managed to fall against a stump. I warned the people in the houses opposite, and Mike and I went and told the people in the house where the tree was. The owners weren't home, but a nanny, child and dog were. I went in to get the number for the Oakland public works department, and before I'd gotten far I heard a truck braking. I went back out, and public works was already out there in force. Seems another neighbor had already called them a couple hours before. Given how busy public works must be, between the storms and budget cutbacks, it was amazing they got there as quickly as they did. Fortunately no one was injured, and there was no major damage done. It could have easily flattened a car or pedestrian.

Meanwhile, the kitchen cabinets have been ordered! We really wanted to go with the EcoHome ones, but they came in at over twice the price of the KraftMaid ones, even with some of the less expensive options selected (e.g., doweled vs. dove-tailed corners, frameless vs. inset faceframe). H&H was somewhere in between. The clock is now running, so I'm packing the kitchen, moving some stuff into the dining room to use in the mean time, and after some guests this weekend, I'll demolish the kitchen next week. Then it's on to electrical and plumbing.

1 comment:

NV said...

Oh, ye of little faith ... see?! :-)
Always glad to help.