Tuesday, May 20, 2008

More Carter Work Project Pictures

Here are some more of the pictures I took during the Carter Work Project. Besides briefly meeting the Carters, I said 'good morning' to John Edwards, possibly our next vice president; I saw Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood being interviewed; I met Ron Terwilliger, chairman of the board of directors of Habitat for Humanity International. But mostly I had a great time working with others to further Habitat's mission of decent, affordable housing for all. I highly recommend volunteering with your local Habitat affiliate, and if life ever gives you a chance to be involved with a Carter Work Project, go for it!








































2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gene - we had wanted to get out and snap some pictures of you guys in action but the already-climbing gas prices prevented us, to be honest. Now I see you got all the pictures we could have hoped for. :)

Thanks again to you - and all of the Carter Work Project volunteers - for coming down and bringing some more hope with you.

Someday - I promise - when Dave and I have gotten through this mess we're going to take everything we've learned and get out there and volunteer. A grace shared is a grace multiplied right?

Unknown said...

Amen to that. And I understand about the gas prices...though driving less was a good idea even before they hit the symbolic $4 a gallon mark.

One of the many great things about volunteering with Habitat is that they'll teach you skills, too. When I started 13 years ago, I barely knew how to swing a hammer. 99% of what I've learned since then about home construction and repair has been from volunteering with them or self-taught because of increased confidence. I wouldn't have undertaken the addition and renovation without those skills.