Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Let's See...

Where am I? Last week wasn't the most productive. I spent a lot of it feeling less than 100%. I'm not sure if it was a cold or allergies (which I've never had before, besides an O.D. on chocolate as a youth.) Friday rolled around and removed any doubt about what it was then -- I felt pretty lousy, and skipped some things on Saturday to rest (sorry John and Paul).

I've got the addition 90% covered with house wrap (the only part that's not is up under the eaves, on the east side away from where our weather comes from), and all the fiddly bits of flashing for the roof above the front door done.

Today I installed more windows. Most of it was very straight forward. Windows are sized by the 'rough opening', which is how big the space in the framing is. To allow for sloppy framing, things out of plumb or off level, etc., the rough opening is generally 1" larger than the actual window in each dimension. Any adjusting that's needed to get the window level and square is done with shims. So far, the rough openings have been pretty close to perfect, so the shims haven't had much to do besides fill the gap. That's made installing the windows pretty easy.

What's been interesting is installing the round windows. I've never done round windows before (expensive little blighters, by the way). The framing is a bit different, of course. But the adhesive flashing you can buy for putting around windows and doors doesn't really fit round windows that well. With some scissors to trim it, I got things pretty well sealed, but it definitely goes at lot slower than installing a rectangular window.

No comments: