Saturday, March 14, 2009

Habitat Build-a-thon

last year's build-a-thon

As if I don't have enough to do (the kitchen cabinets arrive on Wednesday), coming up in April is Habitat for Humanity East Bay's annual Earth Day build-a-thon. This is the biggest build we've done, framing 20 houses in 4 days. I'll be a crew leader this year (not a house leader; I'm nuts, not crazy) so my fund-raising requirements are lower, but I'm still trying to raise $1,000 for the event. You can find my fund-raising page here. If you live in the SF Bay Area, consider taking part in the event yourself.

I owe a lot to Habitat because that's where I learned 99% of my building skills. I volunteer on the work site most Fridays (I didn't yesterday, because I'm busy getting ready for the cabinets and trying to keep the kitchen Rosie-proof), but the build-a-thon is also a fundraiser and a chance to get to see a whole lot of progress in a short amount of time. Most importantly, it's a chance to give people a hand in having a simple, decent place to raise their families. So donate if you can -- every little bit helps!

2 comments:

kathy said...

*sets a green beer trap*

jake said...

What a great project. Habitat is one of the only organizations I donate to, and have for years, even when I was single! I envy your building skills! I wish I had the time.

As I get closer to stating my house addition, Im searching for good books to get me going and get me through this.