Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Curiosity and Cats

The other day I when I was putting up drywall, I left the room for a few minutes. I came back to see Star peering down at me, meowing plaintively. True to form ("Wuss in Boots"), she'd climbed up the ladder and into the dining room ceiling below the bedroom loft, but was then afraid to come down. If you've ever tried to pick up a cat that doesn't want to be picked up, you know how difficult it can be. Put the cat into a small enclosed space so you can only approach the cat from the front, and the danger from claws goes up significantly. After puzzling over it for a moment, I finally climbed up the ladder, let her climb onto my shoulders, and then climbed down. So no cats (or me) were harmed in the making of this picture.

1 comment:

Eliz. said...

Although I don't have a picture to share, I do have this cat tale...

Paul was cleaning the ductwork in our former house and had removed a small section of duct in the basement to get better access for cleaning. He also removed one of the floor grates in the living room. At one point he turned his back on the open ductwork in the basement, only to turn around and see Kinnakeet (our smaller cat) standing in the open end of the duct, meowing at him. She must have climbing down into the duct from open grate in the living room and walked along until she found the opening, and Paul.
She's very intrepid (okay, "brave but dumb" is what we usually say).