Friday, July 22, 2005

Dirt Management

One thing I hadn't really counted on was just how much dirt would be involved for digging for the foundation. I know dirt expands some when you dig it up, because you're loosening it and mixing in air, but we now have a huge (yooooj) pile of dirt. A bunch of it will go back into fill around the foundation after it's poured, but we will have permanently changed the landscape of the backyard.

Wednesday I was at Camron-Stanford House again, working on their database. The database is an ugly mess, to put it mildly. I figure there probably need to be 20-30 fields at most in the artifacts database, but there are over 100, many with near duplicate and frequently non-descriptive names. Ugh.

Yesterday I worked with Naun, digging more for a larger foundation footing. I'd missed an addition the city had made to the plans for the foundation footing size, and using QuadLock it suggests a different approach for the footings, requiring more space. So we dug.

Today I worked on my own, straightened and squared the forms, cut spreaders for the footing, dug space for a pilaster, and added more forms for the footing. All in all, a good day.

No comments: